Email to Families 04-28-20
Dear Catholic High families,
There are two main factors that will impact our decisions over the coming month: the “Stay at Home” order and the limit on gatherings of over 10 people. At this time, we can share the following:
- The last day of virtual instruction for seniors will be Thursday, April 30. The last day that seniors can submit any work for credit is Friday, May 1, no later than midnight.
- The last day of distance learning classes for grades 4-11 will be Thursday, May 14. The last day for students in grades 4-11 to submit any work for credit is Friday, May 15, no later than midnight.
- Spring Kairos and Prom have been cancelled.
- Eighth grade closing Mass and Junior Commissioning have been postponed until the 2020-2021 school year, with dates to be determined.
- No students in any grades 6-12 will take final exams.
Since we will not be taking final exams and this 4th quarter of distance learning has created an unexpected academic situation, individual guidance will be used to determine a student’s promotion for the 2019-2020 academic year. All students in grades 4-11 who are in danger of failing a subject based on the first three quarters of the academic year will be given the opportunity to participate in recovery work or retained if that is in the best interest of the student. Administrators and teachers are in the process of reviewing student grades and will reach out to parents to discuss possible grade recovery options. If you feel that your child is in danger of failing a particular subject and have not been contacted by your teacher, administrator, or counselor, please send an email to your child’s teacher requesting assistance.
- Locker clean-out, and device and textbook turn in will be completed during the weeks originally planned for final exams:
- Seniors – May 4 – 8
- Grades 4-11 – May 18 – 22
- Details on those last days will be announced as soon as we get more information on permissions for safety at that time.
- Teacher Appreciation Week will be held May 4 – 8 as originally planned. Please look for more information from the Development Office if you would like to help in some way during this week.
- Friday, May 1, will include activities that will give us a chance to practice our traditions of First Friday and honoring our Blessed Mother Mary as the month of May begins. Please look for more information from our Office of Faith and Formation.
During this time of social distancing and distance learning, we, the faculty and staff of CHS, have become ever more aware that every child is a gift from God who has entrusted them to us for our care and guidance. Knowing this, empowers the way we approach our vocation of education. We deeply understand by faith, that God has created and continues to bless our Catholic High faith community and that we will make it through this pandemic stronger and even more committed to the mission and vision of our school.
With Panther Pride and trust in God’s plan for our lives,
Stella J. Arabie, Ed.D.