Louisiana Youth Seminar Summer Program 2019-2020 grades 11 and 12 (10th may apply)
Attention: 2019-2020 juniors, seniors, and sophomores who are up to the challenge.
2019 Louisiana Youth Seminar
The Louisiana Youth Seminar was established in 1971 as a summer leadership camp for high school students. Every year the Seminar is held at Louisiana State University for one week in July. During this week, students participate in many activities which focus on leadership skills, such as effective communication skills, setting and achieving goals, team building, understanding and accepting others, developing self confidence, conducting effective meetings, problem solving skills.
The goal of LYS is to develop students’ raw leadership potential into skills that will help them to succeed as leaders, whether in business, government or the nonprofit arena. LYS delegates meet interesting people from across the state, learn how to achieve life goals, and compete in good-natured yet challenging projects. LYS enhances the leadership potential in each individual and provides leadership opportunities through hands-on experience.
LYS has been providing the highest caliber of leadership training for almost 50 years. We welcome all high school incoming juniors and seniors throughout Louisiana. Students come to LYS via a variety of ways: selected by their schools, sent by their parents, recruited by past LYS delegates and staff and by LYS friends and family. The goal of LYS is to attract students of all talents, interests and backgrounds.
LYS is organized, staffed and directed by young professionals and college students who volunteer their time every summer. Each staff member has participated in the seminar as a student delegate and therefore understands the inner workings of the program. The staff is young, positive, and progressive and can easily identify with the hopes, feelings and trends of Louisiana’s youth.
LYS is a unique leadership program. Although there are other summer camps, they focus on different areas of emphasis. LYS is different because it focuses on leadership skills, it is open to all potential leaders not just one group, and because it recruits a diverse group of students. LYS has impacted over 9000 young leaders over the past 40 plus years.
July 14-19, 2019 at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge LA
Typical Day at LYS
LYS is a 5 day, fun-filled experience for our delegates. This high-energy schedule is led by experienced counselors and junior counselors who will work one-on-one with 15-20 students in a “home group.” Days start early and go into the evenings, so this fun-filled packed schedule is full of events and action. You will meet many new friends and stay in an LSU dormitory with students from all over the state.
*Times are approximate and activities vary daily
- Group Roll Call
- Full Delegation Session, such as:
- Communication Connection
- Speaking Out Workshop
- Louisiana – a Dream State
- Small Group Involvement Sessions, which involve 30-40 students and focus on:
- Goal Setting
- Parliamentary Procedure
- Expressing your feelings through music
- Teambuilding through physical challenge
- A one-on-one communication
- Guest Speaker, including:
- State or Federal leaders
- Civic leaders
- Corporate leaders
- Home Group Time, focused on specific competitions among home groups
- Group Competitions
- Political Party Meetings – Whigs versus Tories, where students run for LYS offices via a primary, caucus and general election.
- Evening Events, which include fun times such as
- Cajun Cookout, with music by our favorite DJ
- Final night banquet and dance
- Home group time, with focus on preparing for the next day’s competitions.
More information available by calling toll free (866) INFO LYS or by emailing LYS@LouisianaYouthSeminar.org
LYS registration for 2019 will open on February 14, 2019.
Don’t miss the excitement of the Louisiana Youth Seminar! Registering is easy — you can register online. Register Early to reserve a spot.
- LYS tuition is $550 (LYS is a non-profit organization. 100% of the tuition is used to cover food, housing and operating costs.)
- Registration is limited to 300 students total – 14 students per school.
- To help ensure your place, send in your registration form and $150 deposit as soon as possible. The tuition balance will be due June 1.
- Once capacity is reached, registration is accepted on a first come, first served basis. All registration is online only (including waitlist).
- $150 of the registration fee is NOT refundable after May 1st.
- Tuition includes housing, meals, supplies, and an LYS t-shirt. A $15 refundable key deposit will be collected at check-in. (At check-out students can elect to purchase an additional t-shirt or receive the key deposit upon returning their key- LSU charges $45 for lost keys).
- Upon receipt of your deposit, a confirmation email will be sent.
- Please make checks payable to: Louisiana Youth Seminar, Inc.
- We will notify you via email of confirmations/packing lists and balance due. Please ensure that @louisianayouthseminar.org emails are filtered to your inbox. Instructions on how to pay your balance will be emailed to you in advance of the June 1 balance due date.
- If your student registered and can no longer attend, please let us know as soon as possible to ensure wait listed students are given the opportunity.