Back to School Letter From the Principal
Dear CHS Family,
There is always excitement and some apprehension as we prepare to begin a new school year. To add to the excitement, we will celebrate our 100th year in 2018! We have lots of great activities planned for the celebration beginning in January.
This letter is to welcome everyone to a new school year at Catholic High School and to provide some basic information to help students get off to a great start. I cannot overemphasize the importance of being well prepared on the very first day and the schedule is designed to provide a gradual approach to the first full day of class on Friday, Aug. 11, 2017.
Please note that all dress code and grooming regulations are in effect on the orientation days, Aug. 9 and 10. Students should bring copies of their schedule of classes with them to school on orientation days. Schedules and handbooks will be available on RenWeb and on our school website on Thursday, July 27. Some other key dates are noted at the end of this letter. Please check the calendar on our school website, www.chspanthers.com for many more important dates.
Much has been accomplished in our facility this summer, including a significant lighting upgrade for all classrooms and hallways. All summer activities, from all academic preparations to athletic training have progressed according to schedule. We think everything will be in place for us to “hit the ground running” in August!
New faculty and staff members also bring excitement and energy to a new year. Please give a big Panther welcome to the following new members of the CHS faculty and staff:
- Rev. Alexander Albert, Associate Pastor at St. Peter’s, who will be teaching Religion in Middle School. Deacon Brent Smith, also from St. Peter’s, will teach these students on any day that Fr. Albert is unavailable due to his priestly obligations.
- Mrs. Shannon Aucoin, who will serve as Dean of Students in all grades and be Student Council sponsor for the high school student council. Mrs. Aucoin comes to us from the Academy of the Sacred Heart in Grand Coteau. (Mr. Josh Guilbeau will move to position of Guidance Counselor for students in all grades.)
- Mr. Justin Conover will teach Religion to sophomores and seniors. Mr. Conover comes to us from Sacred Heart High School in Ville Platte.
- Coach Adam Glover, who is the head boy’s soccer coach, will teach one section of physical education for boys who participate in soccer. Coach Adam comes to us with years of teaching experience in England.
- Mrs. Tabitha Maillet will teach science and math classes in high school and assist with the school technology program. She comes to us from Highland Baptist School. Tabitha is a Mt. Carmel graduate and was the valedictorian of her class.
- Mrs. Paula Bellman will be an administrative assistant in the elementary building and will also assist with school technology. She comes to us from the Academy of the Sacred Heart in Grand Coteau.
- Mrs. Ronilane Gonsoulin will serve as administrative assistant in the high school and manage concessions at CHS events. She has been a very active substitute teacher at Catholic High for many years.
- In addition, Dr. Donald “Doc” Voorhies and Mrs. Chanda Chauvin will be expanding their teaching loads.
August 3 – 6:00 pm – Disch Gym – Welcome to High School Orientation for all Freshman and New Students and their Parents
August 7 – 6:00 pm – Disch Gym – New Student and Parent Orientation for Grades 4-8
August 9 – 7:50 am – 12:30 pm – High School Orientation
August 10 – 7:50 am – 12:30 pm – Elementary and Middle School Orientation
August 11 – 7:50 am – 2:55 pm – First full day of school
August 15 – 9:20 am – Disch Gym – First All-School Mass (We will resume Thursday Mass the following week.)
August 30 – Back to School Parent Night for all grades 4-12
Best wishes to everyone for a happy and successful school year. God Bless you all! Go Panthers!
Yours in Christ,
Catholic High School